Thursday, June 17, 2010

Prove me wrong

So the president goes on national television for a prime time speech on the ongoing crisis. In a stern tone that assures us he's serious, the president pledges:

"We will do what it takes. We will stay as long as it takes to help citizens rebuild their communities and their lives."

Remember those words?

That was in 2005.

And in 2010, the president goes on national television for a prime time speech on the ongoing crisis. In a stern tone that assures us he's serious, the president pledges:

"We will fight this spill with everything we’ve got for as long as it takes...And we will do whatever’s necessary to help the Gulf Coast and its people recover from this tragedy."

So forgive me if I'm cynical, because I am.

I've often said that the only real difference between the two major political parties is the color of their neckties. And so far, when I compare the response to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita to the response to the current oil-pocalypse in the Gulf of Mexico, I don't see much improvement in 5 years.

President Obama, prove me wrong. Show us that your words are not simply more campaign rhetoric. Make me take my words back and write a blog about how you turned out to be a man of your word. Because I'll do it--I'll gladly eat crow online for all the world to see.

The next move is yours, Mr. President.

1 comment:

Susanna Powers said...

You make a good point. But in my opinion, President Obama is greatly more competent and capable than President Bush was. My feeling is that they should have brought other oil company engineers in earlier for consultation. I suppose also there was too much belief that BP would be able to cap the well. What do you think should be done now? thanks, sp