Sunday, January 08, 2006

Uh oh

Now I've done it. I've gone and gotten myself into trouble.

I've been blogging for a few weeks now, and being very discreet about "naming names." My daughter, for instance, is known in this blog only as "daughter." And my wife, my lovely wife of... wait, let me do the math... carry the two... um... 18 years, the woman I took in holy matrimony, she is known only as "the wife."

But she's not happy about this.

She sent me this email earlier today:

Tim, I love you and liked reading your blogs, but would appreciate some title other than "the wife." It sounds very 1950s male chauvinist.


So, what's a bloggin' guy to do? Do I call her "fabulous one with whom I share my life?" That seems a bit wordy. Should I refer to her as "the light of my life?" I think that's been copyrighted. I could call her "hootchie baby," but I'd prefer not to land on the sidewalk on my ass. "Wife" is just so succinct, I swear I didn't know it wasn't PC anymore.

I'm putting this question out to the blogosphere: what should I do?

8 comments:

Laurie said...

The spouse unit better make this call.

Anonymous said...

Of course you can't call her "the wife". You're in New Orleans.

She's "da wife".

If she doesn't like that, you could try "Nat'ly".

Anonymous said...

I do know one blogger who uses "spousal unit" and I like it. I call mine: "the Husband With Whom I Have Completed the Cohabitation Phase of the Marriage". I have also thought about asking my readers for help in finding a suitable, yet shorter name. I like "da wife". How about Most Glorious One?

Mommy said...

I guess you could see how she feels about simply adding a pleasant adjective in front of "wife".

Beautiful, OR: alluring, angelic, appealing, beauteous, bewitching, charming, classy, dazzling, delicate, delightful, divine, elegant, enticing, excellent, exquisite, fair, fascinating, fine, foxy, good-looking, gorgeous, graceful, grand, ideal, lovely, magnificent, marvelous, nice, pleasing, pretty, radiant, ravishing, refined, resplendent, shapely, sightly, splendid, stunning, sublime, superb, well-formed, wonderful

Intelligent OR: able, acute, alert, alive, all there, apt, astute, brainy, bright, brilliant, calculating, capable, clever, comprehending, creative, deep, discerning, egghead, enlightened, exceptional, highbrow, imaginative, ingenious, instructed, inventive, keen, knowing, knowledgeable, original, penetrating, perceptive, perspicacious, profound, quick, quick-witted, rational, ready, reasonable, resourceful, responsible, sage, sharp, smart, thinking, together, understanding, well-informed, whiz, wise, witty

Loving OR: admiring, affectionate, amatory, amiable, amorous, appreciative, ardent, attached, attentive, benevolent, bound up, caring, concerned, considerate, cordial, dear, demonstrative, devoted, doting, earnest, enamored, expressive, faithful, fervent, fond, friendly, generous, impassioned, kind, liking, loyal, passionate, respecting, reverent, reverential, romantic, sentimental, tender, thoughtful, valuing, warm, warm-hearted

Sorry for all the words, but as a sesquipedalian, I can never post too many for my liking.

Logical Judgement said...

hm.. I too have asked myself this question, what to call my hubby on my blog.

Maybe for your wife, "DW" meaning Dear Wife, or "SO" meaning Signifigant Other.

Oh and check out my blog, you've been "tagged". ^^

Anonymous said...

I would suggest "blogger babe."

Chicks love that stuff.

I think.

Steve T. said...

"Madame X"? But only if she has a silk sheath dress decorated with a dragon motif.

Then there's the Rumpole approach: "She Who Must Be Obeyed"

Anonymous said...

The English use "her indoors." But you have to do the accent to get it across. I suppose that is just a foreign version of "the wife."